Posts in carbon trading
- For a long time the concept of carbon trading has had its critics. The primary one is that trading carbon does not really get rid of the problem: the emissions of carbon dioxide. It merely changes pollution into a commodity that can be traded. As the NGO Carbontrade Watch argues: “Carbon offsets allow companies and...
Continue reading 'A €30 Million Joke'.
- As the diplomatic squabbling continues in Cancun, lots of policy options are being put on the table. One of the key ones is trading carbon emissions. The influential EU bloc is one of carbon tradings greatest proponents, with its Emissions Trading Scheme the largest carbon trading scheme in the world. New rules to the ETS...
Continue reading 'Carbon Trading Obsession is “Irresponsible”'.
- When the Nobel Peace Prize committee decided earlier this year to award the prize to President Obama, they could not have envisaged that it would be in the same month as he sent 30,000 more troops to war. Giving the peace prize to the Commander in Chief of American forces involved in two brutal and...
Continue reading '“Spend as much on climate change as war”'.
- The pseudo garbage that constitutes the British Daily Express newspaper yesterday ran a headline saying climate change was a con to put up taxes Quoting yet another climate sceptic the Express served up a disservice to journalism, by completely manipulating the climate debate. Suddenly sceptics are appearing out of the wood-work left, right and centre,...
Continue reading 'Flawed Talks Must Fail, Says Hansen'.
- All the news reports this morning are that a deal at Copenhagen is dead. Barack Obama has said that we had run out of time to secure a deal in December. This will please the corporate lobbyists no end. The longer they can delay action on climate the better. But now Copenhagen’s iconic mermaid is...
Continue reading 'The Angry Mermaid Strikes Back'.
- Cometh the hour, the old phrase goes, cometh the man. Barack Obama is staking much of his high credibility by calling for the House to pass the landmark US Climate bill, that may come before the House this afternoon. Or it may not, depending on the political drama. While Democratic support has been growing, some...
Continue reading 'Enviros Say Climate Bill Should be “Fixed or Ditched”'.
- As President Obama has breakfast with Prime Minister Gordon Brown, and demonstrators start taking to the streets to protest at the G20, we should not forget the events of yesterday. Congressman Henry Waxman and Ed Markey released a discussion draft of the American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009 – a massive 648-tome that...
Continue reading 'Lukewarm Response to “Centrist” Clean Energy Bill'.
- So tomorrow is Fossil Fools day – and as it is the start of the G20 meeting in London, there will be lots of protests happening against the current economic meltdown, with people demanding radical action from the G20 leaders. First off will be four simultaneous marches, led by effigies of the four horsemen of...
Continue reading 'G20 Meeting Starts on Fossil Fools Day….'.
- Rich nations should be absolved from the need to cut emissions if they pay developing countries to do it on their behalf, a senior UN official has said. The controversial suggestion from Yvo de Boer, head of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), has angered environmental groups. They say climate change will not...
Continue reading 'Rich Should “Pay Poor to Cut Carbon”'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (2)
- Blog Posts (3,760)
- Briefings (43)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (16)
- Factsheets (14)
- Featured (1,565)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (8)
- Key Votes (5)
- Letters (5)
- Methodology (2)
- News (800)
- Newsletter (25)
- Press Releases (215)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (93)
- Research & Opinions (36)
- Resources (77)
- Separate Oil and State (145)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Supplemental Material (1)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Deepwater Horizon Donald Trump energy policy Energy Security extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills pipelines Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell subsidies tar sands US politics violence