Posts in Canada
- Stockman’s planned testimony outlines that changing market conditions and realities in the tar sands industry show that there is no market need for Keystone XL pipeline. This testimony has been essentially confirmed by recent statements by TransCanada representatives themselves, who have expressed doubt in finding sufficient shippers to fill the pipeline.
- Who will clean up the mess if oil companies go bust as the whole fossil fuel industry goes from a downcycle into a potential “death spiral”?
- In a dramatic turn of events, it looks like all bust and no more boom for the Alberta tar sands, according to our recent analysis based on industry data. In reality, future rates of production will likely be insufficient to fill even one new pipeline.
- The oil industry's own data shows that the tar sands are on the edge of decline – but the key question is if they will take everyone else down with them.
- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE June 29, 2017 CONTACT Lorne Stockman, lorne [at] priceofoil.org, +1 540 679 1097 Adam Scott, adam [at] priceofoil.org, +1 416 347 3858 Data driven reality check points to end of growth in the tar sands. A new briefing released today points to a dramatic drop-off in investment in growth in the tar...
Continue reading 'RELEASE: Data driven reality check points to end of growth in the tar sands'.
- Oil Change International June 2017 Download the PDF Briefing. The Alberta tar sands are among the world’s largest oil reserves. While investment and expected growth in the industry have been high for the last decade, new industry data paints a dramatically different picture of the sector moving forward. Key findings: Anticipated tar sands production growth is...
Continue reading 'Reality Check: The End of Growth in the Tar Sands'.
- Reading or watching videos from someone like Ezra Levant, a man who used to sell cigarettes, should come with a health warning.
- The Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers' "data" claiming a need for pipelines looks increasingly far-fetched the more one looks into it.
- These are dizzying days. Our best advice is to stay woke, and pay attention. As we prepare for a day that will revolve around Trump’s Rose Garden speech to Make America Guzzle&Gush Again, it is worth taking a moment to focus on the amazing events in the background over the last few days: Kinder Morgan’s...
Continue reading 'When will Exxon will be worthless? Not if.'.
- "Canada’s Auditor General revealed today that 8 years after the government promised to phase out fossil subsidies, there is still no game plan to do so," said Oil Change International's Alex Doukas in a statement released today.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (2)
- Blog Posts (3,667)
- Briefings (40)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (14)
- Factsheets (14)
- Featured (1,474)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (8)
- Key Votes (5)
- Letters (3)
- Methodology (2)
- News (716)
- Newsletter (25)
- Press Releases (196)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (87)
- Research & Opinions (36)
- Resources (70)
- Separate Oil and State (143)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Supplemental Material (1)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Deepwater Horizon Donald Trump energy policy Energy Security extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills pipelines Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell subsidies tar sands US politics violence