Posts in Biofuels
- There is a growing backlash on both sides of the Atlantic against biofuels
- The highly-charged debate of food versus fuel is rising rapidly up the American political agenda, after the worst drought for 50 years in the US has inflicted huge damage on the country’s maize crop. The debate has now intensified with the UN calling for an immediate suspension of the US government-mandated scheme which diverts around...
Continue reading 'Food Versus Fuel Debate Intensifies in US'.
- Sometime you just cannot make sense of the madness. In its desire to rid itself of the ravages of foreign oil addiction, the US is subsidizing domestic ethanol production. The success of this programme means that nearly four out of ten bushels of this year’s corn crop will be made into fuel for your car....
Continue reading 'The Madness of US and EU Biofuels Policy'.
- On the fifth anniversary of the Iraq war, a report from Oil Change International, entitled A Climate of War, analysed both the greenhouse gas emissions of the war and the costs involved in fighting that war rather than climate change. The report contained many shocking facts but a couple were that the projected total US...
Continue reading 'Obama’s War Machine Goes Green'.
- Anyone following the palm oil debate would not have been surprised by the findings of the BBC’s top investigative programme Panorama earlier in the week, which investigated the industry. Using GPS technology and satellite imaging, the BBC exposed how the palm oil giant Duta Palma Group is logging on both high conservation lands and deep...
Continue reading 'A complete mockery of forest protection'.
- A shocking new analysis by the respected Earth Policy Institute has revealed that over a quarter of the total US grain crop was turned into ethanol to fuel cars last year. The figure has tripled since 2004. Because the US is by far the largest grain exporter, the fact that it is feeding an increasing...
Continue reading 'A Quarter of US Grain Goes to Biofuels'.
- In its investigation into the explosion of corporate lobbyists swarming around the US Climate Bill last year, the Centre for Public Integrity noted that “agriculture-based alternative fuels were especially well represented among the new lobbying entrees”. In fact, the CIJ pointed out, the agriculture industry is the fourth largest industry lobby on climate in the...
Continue reading 'US biofuels: “Just throwing money out the window”'.
- All the news reports this morning are that a deal at Copenhagen is dead. Barack Obama has said that we had run out of time to secure a deal in December. This will please the corporate lobbyists no end. The longer they can delay action on climate the better. But now Copenhagen’s iconic mermaid is...
Continue reading 'The Angry Mermaid Strikes Back'.
- Why is the aviation industry been so untouchable when it comes to climate change? That is the question on many people’s lips as the British government prepares to cut carbon from pretty much every sector but aviation. The way aviation is treated may have something to do with the intricate links between the industry and...
Continue reading 'Aviation Emissions “Should be Capped at Copenhagen”'.
- Here’s yet more evidence to nail into the coffin of the biofuel revolution. Biofuels have gone from the ultimate “win-win solution” to a “bogeyman” that threatens to starve the poor and keep the cars of the rich running, according to a new report by Christian Aid. Having reviewed all the evidence, the development charity has...
Continue reading 'Policy Re-Think Needed for “Biofuels Bogeyman”'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (2831)
- Briefings (8)
- Energy Activism (5)
- Factsheets (4)
- Featured (660)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (4)
- News (16)
- Press Releases (26)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (30)
- Research & Opinions (30)
- Resources (15)
- Separate Oil and State (123)
- Subsidy Spotlight (2)
- Websites (4)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Latin American oil Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shell tar sands US politics violence War