Posts in Arctic oil
- Shell was challenged at its AGM by Indigenous activists over the tar sands and Arctic drilling
- Yesterday, Norway’s ruling Labour Party took a “major step” towards opening up other areas of the Arctic to oil drilling that are currently restricted from drilling
- A report from HSBC suggests BP, Shell and Norway’s Statoil could lose some 40 and 60 per cent of their market value if “unburnable carbon” scenarios are put in place.
- Instead of learning the lessons of Shell's disastrous Arctic drilling campaign, the UK government is refusing to support a moratorium on Arctic drilling.
- The latest disaster is just one more in a long list for Shell in its Arctic debacle. It gives further fuel to the fire for those who argue that oil drilling in the region should be banned.
- Documents reveal that Shell's oil spill containment dome is "crushed like a beer can,” in tests.
- As the world watches with baited breath as to who will become the next President of the US, there are increasingly calls that whoever wins the election must radically tackle climate change. Whilst this election has been widely criticised for its climate silence, Hurricane Sandy may have just been a game changer in the political...
Continue reading 'The Next President Must Act on Climate'.
- In the fight for the Arctic and the planet’s future, this is big news. We are witnessing a split in Big Oil’s attitude to the Arctic.
- The advert in the weekend edition of the Financial Times is heart-warming... from Shell?
- Yesterday marked the beginning of the end for the Arctic. Yes the oil industry has been drilling in the high North on Prudhoe Bay for decades now, but yesterday oil giant Shell begun drilling the first well in the Arctic Chukchi Sea in more than two decades. Yesterday morning, Shell’s Noble Discoverer drill-ship began to...
Continue reading 'RIP the Arctic'.