Posts in Arctic oil
- Today is the 25th Anniversary of the Exxon Valdez disaster and although a quarter of a century has passed since the disaster, its effects are still being felt today.
- After spending $ 5 billion on a fruitless and damaging Arctic drilling campaign, Shell has admitted defeat by suspending its plans to drill in the Arctic this summer.
- This is the scientific paper that should stop all Arctic drilling now. It should also stop the controversial Keystone XL pipeline. It is yet another warning that business as usual for the oil industry is just not acceptable.
- Yesterday was the eighteen anniversary of the murder of Ken Saro-Wiwa. The charismatic, pipe-smoking activist was murdered by the brutal military junta for his campaign against Shell in the Niger Delta.
- This morning the Russian state prosecutor officially laid charges of piracy against a Greenpeace activist from Brazil who had protested against oil drilling in the Arctic. A freelance videographer from Britain has also been charged with piracy.
- YouTube’s reputation as a bastion of internet freedom has taken a battering over the last few days as it has twice censored anti-oil videos.
- The Chinese state oil company, CNOOC has become the first Chinese oil company to invest in Arctic oil.
- Shell was challenged at its AGM by Indigenous activists over the tar sands and Arctic drilling
- Yesterday, Norway’s ruling Labour Party took a “major step” towards opening up other areas of the Arctic to oil drilling that are currently restricted from drilling
- A report from HSBC suggests BP, Shell and Norway’s Statoil could lose some 40 and 60 per cent of their market value if “unburnable carbon” scenarios are put in place.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (2827)
- Briefings (8)
- Energy Activism (5)
- Factsheets (4)
- Featured (656)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (4)
- News (14)
- Press Releases (26)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (29)
- Research & Opinions (30)
- Resources (14)
- Separate Oil and State (123)
- Subsidy Spotlight (2)
- Websites (4)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Latin American oil Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shell tar sands US politics violence War