Posts in African Oil
- A new wave of anger, manifesting in large protests, is sweeping through Nigeria’s Ogoni region.
- Today is the nineteen anniversary of the muder of the writer, Ken Saro-Wiwa, by the Nigerian junta for his campaign against the oil giant Shell.
- If there is one country where Shell’s broken promises ring hollower than anywhere else it is in Nigeria.
- It has all the ingredients for an international blockbuster novel: The stunning setting of Africa’s oldest National park, home to half of all the species on the African continent, including one if its most endangered and iconic animals, the Mountain Gorilla.
- The fact that a Dutch court has found Shell guilty in its home country will now set a huge precedent for further claims.
- On Monday morning, Shell's “Grassroots Employee Empowerment Division” emailed 71,900 employees. But that division doesn't exist.
- The advert in the weekend edition of the Financial Times is heart-warming... from Shell?
- Yet more evidence that Shell is still at heart of the vortex of violence that continues in the Niger Delta. Platform, the oil industry watchdog which is based in London, has released a great briefing paper, called Dirty Work, which examines Shell’s security spending in Nigeria. The story is covered in today’s Guardian newspaper. The...
Continue reading 'Shell’s Blood Money Exposed'.
- Finally after fifty years of the Nigerian government playing softly, softly with Shell, is the country about to start playing hard-ball with the oil giant? The country’s oil regulator has asked Shell to pay a whopping $5 billion fine for a spill off the country’s southern coast last December. Late last year there was a...
Continue reading 'Nigeria: Shell to Pay $5 Billion Fine?'.
- Reports coming out of Nigeria this morning are that the country’s President Goodluck Jonathan has sacked senior oil officials from the state oil company NNPC in the interests of “greater transparency and accountability.” Jonathan has come under intense pressure to clean up the country’s oil industry. We have known for a while that theft and...
Continue reading 'Nigeria Loses $1 Billion a Month in Oil Theft'.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (2,999)
- Briefings (9)
- Energy Activism (5)
- Factsheets (4)
- Featured (823)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (140)
- Press Releases (42)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (38)
- Research & Opinions (31)
- Resources (17)
- Separate Oil and State (131)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shell tar sands US politics violence War