Separate Oil and State
- Eliminating the crude export ban would not only hurt the many communities facing dangerous oil extraction in their backyards but also our climate, as the industry digs up unburnable oil at an even faster clip. The only beneficiaries of gutting this law are the Big Oil Executives seeking to pad their profits.
- Over the past week, virtually every article on the President’s trip to Alaska to highlight the impacts of climate change, has in the next breath mentioned the President’s approval of Shell’s arctic drilling. The allegation made vocally by the environmental community is that these two things are deeply contradictory, and blatantly hypocritical. It’s an allegation...
Continue reading 'A Convenient Lie: Why Fossil Fuel Supply Matters for the Climate'.
- Being the generous souls that we are, we thought we’d save the industry a few million dollars and create a website that can generate their requisite KXL talking points for them! We are proud to introduce: BigOilTalkingPoints.com!
- Today’s failed vote is just another example of a corrupt Congress trying to please its Big Oil Benefactors. Nothing more, nothing less. Keystone XL backers continue to trot out the same tired talking points spoon-fed to them by the industry. Meanwhile the facts remain the same: Keystone XL fails the climate test and should be rejected.
- Aside from providing some entertainment, twitter fodder, and political theater...coming on the eve of the 5th anniversary of the dubious Citizens United Supreme Court decision, last night’s State of the Union speech showed us a few important things when it comes to climate and Washington, DC.
- Through public land leases, infrastructure subsidies, and some very expensive tax breaks, taxpayer money is supporting what could become one of the dirtiest, most destructive chapters in American energy history.
- Where we played our game -- a game of communities rising up, of organizing, of using facts to guide us, of running straight at our progressive values and being unashamed of them -- we won. And those wins were beautiful.
- A trio of progressive organizations have released a hard-hitting satirical ad, entitled “Exxon Hates America,” and are crowdfunding it to show on screens across America over the July 4th weekend.
- During today's Environment and Public Works Senate Hearing on rural climate impacts, Senator Inhofe made a statement that -- if it weren't so telling of the fundamental problems in Washington, D.C -- would by funny.
- On average, Senators voting against the moratorium have received nearly 3 times as much in Big Oil contributions than those voting for it.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (3,122)
- Briefings (15)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (7)
- Factsheets (6)
- Featured (942)
- Industry Analysis (15)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (238)
- Newsletter (22)
- Press Releases (62)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (45)
- Research & Opinions (32)
- Resources (23)
- Separate Oil and State (135)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shell tar sands US politics violence War