- The man who famously rebranded BP as “Beyond Petroleum” has re-entered the debate over climate and oil by warning that oil companies face bankruptcy if they do not address the risks of global warming.
- This week, the leaders of Mexico, Canada, and the United States met in Ottawa for the North American Leaders’ Summit. In their outcome statement on climate and energy, they committed to “phase out inefficient fossil fuel subsidies by 2025 and call on the other members of the G-20 to do the same.” Along with their...
Continue reading 'Should North Americans subsidize oil, gas, and coal for another 10 years?'.
- Defying increasingly dire concerns about climate change and ongoing price volatility in the oil market, the dirty tar sands are set to increase production by a million barrels a day by 2025, a new report predicts.
- Leading climate denial organisations in the UK are pushing for Brexit which could fast-track fracking.
- There are a staggering amount of old and new wells with the potential to release methane. At least 3.5 million wells have been drilled in the US, with a quarter of those still active. Many old and new ones are leaking the potent greenhouse gas.
- Just as the political opposition to crude by rail trains is growing in the US over the latest crash along the Colombia River Gorge, so is the public opposition.
- The political and regulatory fall-out from the crude by rail crash in the Colombia River Gorge earlier this month is still continuing.
- Seeds of resistance are spreading across the country, as landowners stand up for their land, their communities, and the climate.
- Atmospheric concentrations of CO2 will shatter the critically important barrier of 400 ppm this year and are now not predicted to fall below that level again in our life-times.
- In a year of climate records being broken on an almost weekly basis, the Arctic is breaking more than most and now could be stuck in a spiral of what is known as "Arctic amplification".
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (3,290)
- Briefings (18)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (12)
- Factsheets (9)
- Featured (1,100)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (372)
- Newsletter (24)
- Press Releases (93)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (58)
- Research & Opinions (32)
- Resources (31)
- Separate Oil and State (138)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell tar sands US politics violence