- Royal Dutch Shell is pinning a lot of hope (and even more money) on the U.S. Arctic Ocean becoming its next major oil find. Despite a number of years of failed attempts, embarrassing accidents, and failed safety tests – Shell hopes to head back to the Chukchi Sea off the Alaskan coast this summer. Arctic...
Continue reading 'To the ends of the earth: Shell’s plan to risk it all'.
- For the sake of a mere 4% of total petroleum passing through the United States, we say stop the trains now, protect North America’s communities and build an energy system that protects the climate and our citizens from a reckless oil industry.
- TransCanada's proposed Energy East tar sands pipeline faces massive opposition in Canada. A large demonstration is planned in Quebec City on April 11th.
- Resource sovereignty, OPEC and climate change: implications for Ecuador in the struggle to protect biodiversity and indigenous rights in Yasuni National Park
- Oil companies demanded tax breaks in UK Budget, despite their eye-watering profit levels - OCI/Plaform analysis. UPDATED with the Budget announcement
- This past Saturday, it happened again. A train carrying highly volatile crude oil, in this case tar sands crude from Alberta, derailed in Ontario and caught fire, destroying a bridge in the blaze. This is the fourth time in as many weeks an oil train has derailed and caught fire or exploded.
- New data from the EIA shows that the President was right to call Keystone XL an export pipeline.
- The Canadian press and politicians are waking up to the fact that transporting tar sands by rail is as dangerous as Bakken.
- Royal Dutch Shell has insisted that it is going to press ahead this year with its plans to continue its high cost, high risk hunt for oil in the U.S. Arctic Ocean this year (aka the world’s most obvious unburnable carbon). While its plan still rests on some outstanding permits from the federal government that...
Continue reading 'Not so fast, Shell'.
- The wave of anti-fracking protests sweeping the globe have now spread as far as North Africa.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (3,012)
- Briefings (10)
- Data Trends (2)
- Energy Activism (5)
- Factsheets (4)
- Featured (835)
- Industry Analysis (1)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (149)
- Newsletter (3)
- Press Releases (44)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (38)
- Research & Opinions (31)
- Resources (18)
- Separate Oil and State (133)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shell tar sands US politics violence War