Posts by Steve Kretzmann
- On Tuesday, January 24, as Washington readies for the annual State of the Union address, more than 500 people in referee outfits are converging on Capitol Hill to “blow the whistle” on Congress. Why? Consider these two facts: 1. The American people believe (rightly) that Members of Congress are more responsive to their campaign donors...
Continue reading 'Blowing the whistle on Dirty Energy Money'.
- Pssst. I’ve got a secret. The oil industry is in it for the money. I know how shocking this must be for many of you. But it’s true. Literally. The duty of Big Oil’s executives to their shareholders is to maximize their profits. There’s nothing wrong with that, in theory. They are in fact, quite...
Continue reading 'Pssst! Don’t tell anyone…Big Oil Makes Money!'.
- This morning the Guardian carried a story from Maplight about the influence of oil money over the July vote in the House of Representatives on the Keystone XL pipeline. It’s a classic story about the influence of campaign money over policy that will surprise few but bears repeating often. We ran a similar story about...
Continue reading 'Keystone XL and Dirty Energy Money'.
- By Brendan Demelle, DeSmogBlog American Petroleum Institute President Jack Gerard today announced the oil and gas industry’s latest election-year scare campaign to threaten the demise of the U.S. economy unless Big Oil gets its every wish in Washington. This year the wish list includes approval of the Keystone XL pipeline, expanded offshore drilling on both...
Continue reading 'Big Oil Threatens President Obama'.
- Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) announced today that he will hold the extension of middle class tax cuts hostage unless an unrelated provision about the Keystone XL oil pipeline project is included—a major handout to his Big Oil donors that could leave millions of Americans facing a tax increase in the new year. So,...
Continue reading 'Mitch McConnell Stands Up for Big Oil, Holding Middle Class Tax Cuts Hostage'.
- Yesterday, Republicans and a few Democrats defied a veto threat from President Obama and passed a bill extending a cut in Social Security payroll taxes which also would fast track a decision on the Keystone XL pipeline and give polluters a variety of other gifts. Representative Edward J. Markey, Democrat of Massachusetts, said the Republicans...
Continue reading '“Gas & Oil Party” passes Keystone XL poison pill'.
- Rep. Henry Waxman (D-Calif.) recently renewed his request that the House Committee on Energy and Commerce investigate the role of Koch Industries in the Keystone XL pipeline. Waxman, the ranking minority member of the committee, made his request in a letter to committee chairmen Fred Upton (R-Mich.) and Ed Whitfield (R-Ky.). Waxman first asked for...
Continue reading 'A Koch Keystone XL Connection?'.
- On Sunday November 6 the Tar Sands Action will return to Washington DC to send an unmistakable message to the President. Exactly one year before the election, we want to encircle the whole White House to ask President Obama to reject Keystone XL and live up to his promise to free us from the tyranny...
Continue reading 'November 6th Tar Sands Action at the White House'.
- Earlier today, twenty-two House Democrats sent a letter to President Obama expressing their support for the Keystone XL pipeline project. The letter was announced in a press release from TransCanada. Both the letter and the press release predictably recycle discredited arguments for Keystone XL on energy security and jobs. What TransCanada didn’t mention is that...
Continue reading 'Big Oil Buys Democratic Support for Keystone XL'.
- Oil Change International, Friends of the Earth, the Other 98% and DeSmogBlog have mapped the tangled web of corruption around the Keystone XL pipeline. Check it out and then click the image to send your letter demanding that President Obama reject the lobbyists and say no to Keystone XL.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (2)
- Blog Posts (3,610)
- Briefings (37)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (14)
- Factsheets (14)
- Featured (1,414)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (8)
- Key Votes (5)
- Letters (2)
- Methodology (2)
- News (662)
- Newsletter (25)
- Press Releases (177)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (83)
- Research & Opinions (36)
- Resources (66)
- Separate Oil and State (143)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Supplemental Material (1)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Deepwater Horizon Donald Trump energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shale Gas Shell subsidies tar sands US politics violence