Posts by David Turnbull
- When it comes to pipeline regulatory decisions, we’re seeing a significant new trend: “Poison approvals” The thing about inertia is that it’s pretty hard to resist, especially when it’s been in place for decades. When it comes to oil and gas pipeline permits, the inertia in place for government agencies at all levels to simply...
Continue reading 'Pipeline “poison approvals”: a new trend?'.
- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE April 16, 2018 US Commercial Banks In For a Spring of Fossil Fuel Resistance US commercial banks are gearing up for their annual general meetings, starting as early as this week, but they’re not alone in making plans for AGM season. A growing number of concerned communities and organizations are planning a...
Continue reading 'US Commercial Banks In For a Spring of Fossil Fuel Resistance'.
- Empty Promise: US Bank Continues Pipeline Finance Published by Oil Change International in partnership with Indigenous Environmental Network, Earthworks, Greenpeace, MN 350, and Rainforest Action Network, April 12, 2018 Download the briefing Following waves of pressure over the controversial Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL), US Bancorp (US Bank) CEO Andrew Cecere won praise from Indigenous rights and...
Continue reading 'Empty Promise: US Bank Continues Pipeline Finance'.
RELEASE: US Bank Raises $2 Billion in Oil and Gas Pipeline Finance Since Pledge to Stop Pipeline FinancingFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE April 12, 2018 US Bank Raises $2 Billion in Oil and Gas Pipeline Finance Since Pledge to Stop Pipeline Financing Since revising its environmental policy last year, US Bank financed more than $2 billion to companies building oil and gas pipelines, including an estimated $480 million to Energy Transfer Partners, new analysis...
Continue reading 'RELEASE: US Bank Raises $2 Billion in Oil and Gas Pipeline Finance Since Pledge to Stop Pipeline Financing'.
- Through its energy forecasts, the International Energy Agency (IEA) has been guiding governments towards energy decisions that are inconsistent with the goals of the Paris Climate Agreement, new research has found.
- The report finds that major private banks funneled $115 billion into extreme fossil fuels in 2017, an increase of 11% from 2016. The single biggest driver of the increase in financing came from the tar sands sector, where financing grew by 111% from 2016 to 2017.
Statement: Trump Administration Budget and Infrastructure Proposals Signal All-out Assault on Public Health, EnvironmentTrump’s infrastructure scam is all about greasing the wheels for oil, gas and coal development and his budget funds this massive giveaway. ‘Streamlining’ critical environmental review really means steamrolling landowners and putting a muzzle on communities when they resist oil and gas pipelines being built through their backyards for private profit.
- As we approach the Global Climate Action Summit, hosted by Governor Brown later this year, the governor himself has an opportunity to show true leadership and announce new steps to limit fossil fuel extraction across the state. After all, the case for a managed phase out of fossil fuel production in California has now been clearly laid out by his own team.
- As we approach the Global Climate Action Summit, hosted by Governor Brown later this year, now would be a fantastic moment for the Brown-Newsom administration to announce new steps to limit fossil fuel extraction in the state writ large. The case for a managed phase out of fossil fuel production in California is clear, they simply need to read their own letter released today.
- Given EIA's shoddy track record, today's Annual Energy Outlook projecting climate doom leaves us feeling quite confident that we'll continue to kick our fossil fuel addiction and tackle our climate crisis.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Black Lives Matter (2)
- Blog Posts (3,843)
- Briefings (46)
- Data Trends (8)
- Energy Activism (17)
- Factsheets (14)
- Featured (1,653)
- Industry Analysis (17)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (8)
- Key Votes (5)
- Letters (6)
- Methodology (2)
- News (885)
- Newsletter (25)
- Press Releases (232)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (99)
- Research & Opinions (36)
- Resources (85)
- Separate Oil and State (146)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Supplemental Material (1)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits BP Canada China climate Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Deepwater Horizon Donald Trump energy policy Energy Security extreme energy fossil fuel subsidies Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills pipelines Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Safety Shale Gas Shell subsidies tar sands US politics violence