Posts in April 2007
- The U.S. Interior Department will release today its new five-year plan to expand oil and gas drilling in the Gulf of Mexico, as well Alaska and Virginia. The proposed drilling area includes major fishing areas and is set to be controversial. The new leasing plan “would significantly increase the nation’s domestic energy supplies while protecting...
Continue reading 'Bush Expands Oil Drilling In Alaska And To Virginia'.
- Seven Chinese oil workers and two Africans who were kidnapped last week during a rebel attack on a Chinese oil field near the Somali border have been released. The Ogaden National Liberation Front, a militant group fighting for control of eastern Ethiopia, claimed responsibility for the attack last week, which is run by a division...
Continue reading 'Chinese Oil Workers Freed in Ethiopia'.
- BP looks set to win a controlling stake in Pakistan State Oil (PSO) in a deal worth around $600 million.The Pakistani Government owns 54 per cent of PSO and is selling 51 per cent stake in the group, leaving 3 per cent in government hands. BP has been competing with Petronas, the Malaysian oil and...
Continue reading 'BP Expands in Pakistan'.
- Only 10 days after Congressman Maurice Hinchey introduced the End Oil Aid Bill in the U.S. Congress, more than 150 organizations from 50 countries have written to House Speaker, Nancy Pelosi, recognizing her clean energy efforts and calling on her to lend support to eliminate international ‘oil aid’. The letter (Acrobat pdf) cites over $20...
Continue reading 'An Appeal to Pelosi to Help End Oil Aid'.
- Direct World Bank financing for oil companies is worth hundreds of millions of dollars a year, but the Bank’s behind the scenes work to make the world safe for Big Oil is priceless. While Bank support for mega-projects involving companies like Exxon and BP may get most of the attention, the Bank’s biggest impact on...
Continue reading 'Ecuador Throws Out World Bank Rep Over Oil Aid:'.
- A group of eight “freshman” Democratic senators have introduced legislation that would impose a windfall profits tax on oil companies as well as revoking some government subsidies. The legislation, proposed by Senator Robert Casey, D-Pa., would impose a 50 percent tax on profits after oil prices rise above $50 a barrel. It also repeals tax...
Continue reading 'Democratic Senators Propose Oil Windfall Tax'.
- Divisions over climate change threaten to derail next week’s set piece EU-US summit. The meeting, which will be hosted by George Bush and attended by Germany’s Chancellor, Angela Merkel, was seen as an opportunity for Europe and the US to align their positions on climate change before a G8 meeting in June.
- Nigeria’s president-elect, Umaru Yar’Adua, intends to tackle violence in the Niger Delta by initiating dialogue with “militants” when he assumes office. Yar’Adua, who won the disputed election, said he would get to work immediately on solving the crisis in the Delta. “You can expect a clear plan to be developed for the solution of the...
Continue reading 'Nigeria’s New President Pledges To Tackle Oil Violence'.
- An investigation by the Financial Times has found that the millions of dollars being spent on “carbon credit” projects yield few if any environmental benefits. In some cases, companies are paying emission reductions do not even take place. In others the clean-up would have been made anyway.
- The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is preparing for a massive clean up operation of oil spills in the Niger Delta, including in Ogoni. UNEP’s Country Director, Turhan Saleh said the clean up work would be the most challenging task the organization has undertaken in recent years.
Archive by Month
Archive by Category
- Blog Posts (3,012)
- Briefings (10)
- Data Trends (2)
- Energy Activism (5)
- Factsheets (4)
- Featured (835)
- Industry Analysis (1)
- Industry Updates (16)
- Infographics (5)
- Key Votes (5)
- News (149)
- Newsletter (3)
- Press Releases (44)
- Refinery Report (5)
- Reports (38)
- Research & Opinions (31)
- Resources (18)
- Separate Oil and State (133)
- Subsidy Spotlight (7)
- Websites (5)
Archive by Tags
African Oil aircraft travel Alternative energy Arctic oil Big Oil Profits Biofuels BP Canada China Climate Change climate change impacts climate sceptics Coal Copenhagen Conference Deepwater Horizon energy policy Energy Security European Union extreme energy Fracking Gas greenwashing Gulf of Mexico impact on wildlife indigenous rights Iraq Keystone XL Offshore offshore drilling Oil oil industry outlook Oil Price oil sands oil spills Politics Pollution protests Public Relations Russian oil Safety Shell tar sands US politics violence War